Wednesday 8 january 2020

This night I could not sleep… The jetlag still makes my body suffer for the moment, though I thought the good story of the night before would makes things run smooth, not really…

It is so warm still in the cabin of the boat, I need to use the fan just next to my bed. But this thing makes so much noise! This is where I blame myself not to have taken any earplugs with me!!! I always do otherwise! Anyhow, something to put on the list for the next shopping session.

In addition I start worrying about the fridge. The compressor has been running al afternoon already but the temperature inside the bucket is still not low enough. Because of the darkness now, I can no longer benefit from the sonar panels. The compressor draws a constant 3 to 4 Amp at 12V in regime. Question is, will the battery capacity be enough to get through the night? Since I cannot sleep anyhow, I go and check the battery controller at 2 in the morning: it shows 12.6V and a bit less than 80% charge remaining. Quick computation and the conclusion is obvious, before the sun sets, the load will be below 50% at this rate, something you never want to do with lead acid batteries. The only thing I can do is to plug in the manual charger running from the 220V AC. Right away the load current climbs up to 17 Amps and the voltage is a steady 13.3V. Things are looking better now. Except that the charger is equipped with a ventilator that produces about as much noise as my fan near the bed… Where are those earplugs?

Still awake at 4 in the morning, I can disconnect the manual charger, the batteries are at 100% again, they will make it till dawn around 7 hr 30 local. A bit less noise in the room, nice 🙂 Still trying to find some sleep… finally I reach dreamland around 6 am and wake up at 9 hr 30!!! Guess the jetlag is still not defeated!

First disappointment of the day. I remember there was a bucket with instant coffee in the food drawer from last time I was in the boat. Nothing beats a good coffee in the morning, even in warm climate. So I go outside, connect the propane bottle to the pressure reducer-gashose assembly. Last thing to do is to select the propane security valve on, and the gas stove is working after a few attempts! It smells like gas anyhow -) but at least I will have hot water for my instant coffee!

A 25 year old gas stove, no way to pretend it’s a new one 🙂

I take bucket out of the pantry and when I open the lid, there is about nothing left in it… the grains have transformed to a black powder that has solidified, most probably due the combined effect of the heat and humidity. Not good, I need something positive to happen in order to get morale up again! A good breakfast will do, right? Some yoghurt mixed with apples, bananas, corn flakes and muesli, delicious! even though the yoghurt is not as cold as I would like it based on my home standards 🙂

Time to get to work! During my sleepless night I was at least able to think about the best way ahead. In order to get the cabin temperature down, it would be a good thing to start blinding the port and cabin lights. During day time, the sun is shining on them and you can really feel the heat coming through the plexiglass. I have a sheet of plastic and some duct tape, that should do!

Not a total screen but good enough for the moment. Until the UV have disintegrated the plastic, like the case higher at the bottom of the mast…

When I’m finished with this, it is already 1 pm, the heat is building up fast. I need to get out of the sun and cool down a bit. Back in the cockpit, drink some water, breathe again!

Another thing I thought about was to get water in the kitchen again. The easiest way to reach that objective is to pull the hose up all the way through the port light just on top of the sink. I agree it is not easy to use but at least this way there is water available just above the sink! But he, the sink goes right to a through hull underneath the boat, and what lies underneath the boat? The dinghy of course!!! I gather all the hose rests I can find in the boat, hook them all together from bigger to smaller diameter and stick it in the through hull; this way, the grey water will flow away somewhere 5 m aft of the boat on the ground. With the heat over here, it is not this bit of water that could cause a flood :-). So here is my improvised water distribution system

It works but he, there must be a better way to proceed… Looking at the connection underneath the sink, searching for available spare parts in the boat, I have an idea! Why not connect the water hose directly on the water distribution system? Of course, the risk exist for water to flow counter direction down the water tank in the keel. I dont want that, it needs to stay dry for servicing and cleaning. Nothing is impossible when you want to reach an objective. This is how I managed to build some temporary distribution system that is safe enough to operate without sinking Saliara… on the hard 🙂

Lot of work, lots of emotions! I reached simple but essential objectives. These are required in order to make living aboard as comfortable as possible. Nobody wants to spend months in an austere environment, that would not boost productiveness in the refit of Saliara. There is one thing I can still do: take one of the marina rental cars, drive to the AEON Mall and buy… earplugs and a portable air conditioner of course!

Back at 2030, it is dark, I work hard to lift a 23 kg box up to the cockpit. With my flashlight attached on my head, I’m able to install my brand new airco in the cabin! It works!!! Time to go to the internet café in order to write the lines, take a shower and I should come back in a cabin that is much more comfortable to stay in 🙂

It’s not because you ask for 17 °C that you get it, but he it is a bit cooler now!